Stratton is about 1 mile away from the centre of Bude.
The town is largely residential and there is a strong community spirit centred largely on the Church, the Methodist Chapel and the pubs.
The amenities include a doctor’s surgery and pharmacy, a dental practice, the Community Hospital and minor injuries unit, post office (in the Tree Inn), hairdresser, two public houses and a general store. There is a Community Hall available for private hire.
St Andrew’s Church is a Grade 1 Listed Building welldescribed in “A Brief History” by Steven J Taylor, (Revised 2015), a small illustrated booklet which is obtainable from the Church bookstall.
Norman origins still exist and there is a 13th Century Effigy and some stonework. The 14th Century is noted for the addition of a North Aisle and alterations and additions seem to have been made in the 15th and 16th Centuries, with the Tower added in the late 15th Century. In 1888 considerable restoration took place and in 1900 a Vestry, with cellar beneath, was added to the North of the Lady Chapel. The present wooden Rood Screen was erected in 1907, replacing the 16th Century screen removed by order of Henry V111. In 1982 the floor of the Ringing Chamber was raised to provide a Robing Room for the Choir and a quiet retreat for young children during Services. In 1998 a new Vestry was built in the north-west corner, along with a small kitchen area and toilet. The former Vestry is now available for small meetings and particularly for a Sunday School. In the last few years an audio system has been installed and the central heating upgraded to a gasfired radiator system. There were changes made at the back of the church in 2015 to enable more space to be available for meetings and social activities.
Standing proudly on high ground in Stratton, St Andrew’s has served the needs of Christians in the area for over 750 years.