mobirise.com

WEEK ST. MARY

St. Mary The Virgin

Churchwarden: Mrs Lesley Booker

Tel: 01288 341221

Churchwarden: Richard Sowerby

Tel: 01288 341348

Local Website

Google Maps

A Church Near You

The parish church is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The north arcade has five four-centred arches, with monolith granite pillars; the south arcade also has five arches, three of which are obtuse pointed, and two obtuse four-centred. The pillars are of Polyphant stone and granite. 
The entrances are a south porch and a priest's door; the north door is not used. The tower is of granite ashlar; it has three stages and is 99 feet in height, including its pinnacles. The church, built in 1643, contains six bells which were hung in 1731, and is finished with battlements and crocketed pinnacles which terminate with crosses. 
The bells were re-hung and repaired in 1887 when the tower was also renovated at a cost of £168.organ, too, is a rare example of the early eighteenth century.

Grade I

St. Mary’s ancient Church stands on the footings of its Norman predecessor in the original St. Mary’s Wyke.  
The parish church is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The north arcade has five four-centred arches, with monolith granite pillars; the south arcade also has five arches, three of which are obtuse pointed, and two obtuse four-centred. The pillars are of Polyphant stone and granite. 
The entrances are a south porch and a priest's door; the north door is not used. The tower is of granite ashlar; it has three stages and is 99 feet in height, including its pinnacles. The church, built in 1643, contains six bells which were hung in 1731, and is finished with battlements and crocketed pinnacles which terminate with crosses. 
The bells were re-hung and repaired in 1887 when the tower was also renovated at a cost of £168.
There are several recorded instances of lightning strikes on the church tower but the most severe took place after a violent hailstorm at 1.25 p.m. on Thursday 21st February 1935, when the south-east pinnacle of the tower was struck by lightning and totally demolished causing havoc on the building below. Damage was estimated at about £2,000 and the church was closed for nearly 12 months whilst the necessary repairs took place.
Now, as then, all visitors are given a warm welcome.

ADDRESS:

Revd. A M Windross
The Rectory
Week St. Mary
Holsworthy
Devon
EX22 6UY

CONTACT:

Email:
amwindross@btinternet.com

Phone:
01288 341600