Grade I Listed - 15th Century.
St Anne’s Church, is located on one of the smaller lanes leading off the Bude - Launceston road, a little way out of the village past the school. It lies against the hillside, sheltered by trees in an outstandingly pretty location. Cars should be parked on the narrow road by the war memorial; the church path is the next turning on the left. One of its former rectors, Richard Buvyle, died in 1358, rumours had it that he was a saint, and a number of remarkable cures took place at his grave. The cult spread rapidly throughout North Cornwall and Devon, turning the church into a centre of pilgrimage, Bishop Grandisson ordered an inquiry in 1361 and ten remarkable cures were verified by a jury of three vicars, three curates and six laymen specially summoned at Week St. Mary for the purpose. Once 'official' the cult seems to have died out for no more is heard of it. The church is dedicated to St. Anne although St. Nicholas appears in original records as early as 1309.
The Church consists of a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The north arcade has five four-centred arches, and the south four obtuse four-centred arches; all are supported on monolith granite pillars. The entrances are a south porch, and a priest's door; the north door communicates with a sort of vestry. The tall tapering tower is of the fifteenth century and has four low stages and, including pinnacles, is 56 feet high. It contains five bells.
There are ancient timbers in the aisles and roof. A chair made of bench ends and a Norman font which is engraved with trailing foliage. Here can be seen one of the oldest slate memorials in Cornwall with an inscription to a priest of 1535. Below the church is a pre-Christian Holy spring dedicated to the pagan godess, Anas, and inside it, on the back wall, a niche with a primitive carved head above. The niche had small loose stone in it, could this be a form of wishing well where you throw a stone into the niche and, if it remains there, your wish is granted!